March 20, 2009

Back Alley Rod & Custom

I love me some Back Alley Rod.....hahahhaa

My friend Kenny owns a Hot Rod shop, called Back Alley Rod & Custom in Camarillo, CA where he restores and rebuild old classic cars, as well as does custom work for newer cars. I have known Kenny for like....11 years now...and he is fucking awesome!
So I brought my Accord to his shop and asked if there was anything he could do to move the drivers seat back a little bit to provide me with a little more leg room. Wouldn't ya know it...HE COULD! So Im here at his shop as we speak, and he is cutting and welding steel into the seat frame so he can remount the seat in the car, giving me more leg room. :-) Now some of you may not know, I am a big boy. Not only am I a total chunky butt, I am also tall. I am like 6'2"...so height + girth = difficult car shopping. I have managed to be just fine for all these years, while owning and driving surprisingly small cars! I have also had larger cars but mostly small...I've had as far as larger cars: Ford Thunderbird, Chevy Camaro, Plymouth Breeze...not all LARGE cars but big none the less and roomy, at least for me behind the wheel...the real shock is that I have also had small cars: Pontiac Sunfire Coupe, a 92 Honda Accord Coupe, Toyota Celica, Honda CRX, and a Hyundai Elantra. My 04 Accord (the current G-Ride) is compact and sporty, but surprisingly large once you are up close to it, mostly in length but its good in width too... so when I bought it it was nice that I had a little more extension for my legs that my Elantra...plus my Honda is an Automatic, and my last few cars have been Stick Shifts...so there is even less effort on the part of my arthritic right hip, not having to move as much. But After driving a few Volkswagen while car shopping, I got spoiled with the amazing seats and cabin of the new Jetta. The seat goes so far back I could barely reach the pedals. It was quite the treat to drive. So I decide that if Kenny can give me more leg room in my already practically perfect vehicle, then I would be all kinds of happy. So Here I am, in his shop with a handful of hetero-mechanic types, sitting around, talking, and smoking having a good ole' time... and Kenny making pretty sparks with my seat. YES Im that big a dork. My baby is having surgery, and Im a proud papa bear cuz my little honda is taking it like a champ.

Alot of the guys here are old friends whom I used to hang out with all the time, and its cool seeing them, though they are all sitting around talking about beer and boobs and trucks and football and shit, and Im on the computer cuz really? As much as I know I am cool with them and vice versa, we have nothing in common anymore. One of them is Jim, he moved away long ago to northern california (lucky bastard) but he came own for some party this weekend...and I have to say, I thought he was cute back in the day, but now that he is 30 and has been doing construction for the past 7 years, his shoulders got all beefy and arms are all big...he looks DAMN good. But I dare not tell him or any of them that cuz yeah...can't have any of them gettin all "don't hit on us" cuz I always told them, even back in the day "What the fuck makes you think I would hit on YOU?!?!" and it was funny to watch their pride and ego get CRUSHED MERCILESSLY....but also kinda sad cuz they ARE cool guys, and surprisingly tolerant. If you saw them on the street you wouldn't think they would not only be cool with gay people, but had gay friends.

Well they are talking about fucking chicks back in high school...and how they compare to their NOW wives whom they have children with...on that note, Im gonna go smoke. Piece out bitches!!!! I love your faces!!!

xo
Proud Honda Papa Bear Andru

No comments: